Another Motobrain leaves the mold.

March 12, 2014 in 8 Channel PDU by Joshua Oster-Morris

I have no good reason to become proficient at casting. I want to be able to do it when necessary but I have no grand intention of becoming an expert at it. Still, I ought to be able to cast a damn Motobrain without it being a pain in the ass. Alas, it was once again a total pain.

The bottom of the mold popped off without any fuss leaving a mirror finish and I was excited to pull the sides off and see a pristine new Motobrain come out. No amount of prying helped release the sides though. I ultimately had to chisel the mold off at the cost of 2 hours and $350 for the mold which is currently in more than 400 tiny pieces. In two attempts, the new mold release did not work at all on this mold material. I’m done with that stuff. It is worthless, expensive or not. I’m going back to the $8 Home Depot floor wax. That stuff actually seemed to work at least.

Chiseling the Motobrain out of the mold did a bit of damage to the resin but it is still in good enough shape for my needs. I didn’t do a great job making sure the cap was completely in the resin and you can see a few voids just below it. I did try but I couldn’t seem to push it down far enough and I didn’t want to make a mess by pulling it off and trying again. I still have some more trial and error to suffer through before I can get these guys packaged up nicely. I feel like I am on the right track but I am not quite there yet.

4B17D8E3-E40C-431D-9EF2-FED0527697B9[1]