This device is nominally rated at 100A but during the testing phase I’ve not been pushing the current high as I’ve been testing other things. Today I pushed it to 32A (well 38A but I didn’t take a photo of that). The device was just a few degrees warmer than ambient temperature.
The external hardware signals are used to control the PDU when you are not using your Bluetooth device. For motorcycles this is very important as you will not want be able to have ready access to your phone when you want to change a circuits characteristics. You will program the PDU from the phone but you will control it day to day with these signals wires which you will connect to buttons, switches, or other circuits like your horn, kickstand sensor, or high beams. When these signal inputs are pulled high or low (12V or 0V) the PDU will get that signal and you will be able to program the response to it. For example, you may set it up so that when the high beams go on your AUX lights turn on, or when the OEM horn is on your air horn spins up.
There are 4 signal inputs that can identify two states each (ground and 12V but not at the same time). So that gives you somewhere between 4 and 8 signals depending on your creativity in designing your setup.
I got the last batch of parts I needed this week to test out my new constant current design. I put it all together this morning. I used the same board as last time but cut some traces, replaced some caps and a chip, and added a bodge wire. It works PERFECTLY! No more tangle of wires. Just goodness!!!! I am so stoked. No excuses now. Time to figure out how to make them by the hundred. It isn’t as easy as it sounds, so stand by. FYI, I’ve been asked to not speak about the cost of this gizmo or discuss money at all. When the time comes I will be creating a vendor thread to do support and that sort of thing. This thread is just about sharing the development and ideas. Thanks for all your help so far, we’ve really got something here!
I built up a complete 8 channel PDU this weekend (and shot a video of the process for those interested). No more tangles of wire. I will test it on the bike this weekend. The box the PDU is stuffed in is a bit taller than the bicycle box but otherwise the same dimension.
Making little changes as time allows. The next big thing to do is create a UI for updating the output channel details like maximum current, startup/shutdown delay, and channel name. At that point we will have enough basic features to “prove” that we can do this and then it will be time to build one and put it on the bike for a practical test and then it’s Kickstarter time!
I like what I am seeing. The PWM duty cycle prints as a percentage on the switch which looks pretty nice I think. It saves a lot of space as well.
The software is moving right along and things are looking pretty good. It looks like we are going to do a Kickstarter to get this thing off the ground. Discussions are ongoing but we are aiming at a minimum of 200 units @ $225-$250 to see it go through. 200 units at that price leaves no profit line to speak of, but it will allow us to get the product out there and tested. There will be yield issues I am sure so we will hopefully have enough money make 250 for every 200 ordered in case some do not work after they are assembled. Machines will be used to assemble them but they are not perfect. We will test all the units after they are assembled and again after they are encapsulated to confirm they are in working order before we ship them.